On another site I use, I came across someone’s blog post which contained a list of things I’d tell my 13 year old self, so I’m going to try and come up with a list.
- Stop hanging around with those people before your history teacher has to pull you up after you end up in detention. He’s right, you’re better than them and they’re just dragging you down.
- You won’t have your first proper kiss or a boyfriend until you’re 15, don’t worry about it.
- About your first boyfriend, he’s definitely not the sort of guy you think he’ll be. But you’re not the sort of person you’d ever imagine you’d be either. By the time you’re 15 you’re going through an emo/skater phase (and you don’t really grow out of much other than the clothes).
- Keep playing hockey, even though you’re frustrated at playing defense all the time. It becomes great fun further on in school.
- To merge points 3 and 4. Don’t let your boyfriend come to your hockey games, he resents you for it and cares even less. Once you get into 4th year and are going to gigs etc. on a Friday night, still go to games. The girls will mock you, don’t let it upset you, just mock them back.
- Stop caring about what people think of you. Your mental health will benefit from it.
- Science, languages and music are your thing – focus more on those, but please keep the sport up. You do really well later on in school with it, before your joints start ruining themselves.
- You’ll think you’re in love when you’re 16. You’re not. You’re kidding yourself because he’s nice to you. This doesn’t last. You properly fall in love with a guy in Edinburgh when you’re 20, and although things get hard, you’re going to marry that guy some day.
- You’re not going to be stuck in that town forever, I promise.
- Although you think it’s the right choice, Edinburgh uni isn’t the place for you. The way their courses are set up isn’t good for the way you learn. Try and find a course which has more emphasis on the practical aspect of biology.
- Your views on marriage will change when you meet Chris. Embrace it. Also, you really enjoy looking at wedding dresses.
- Visit the Botanical Gardens when you move to the city – you need to discover this sooner than I did.
- I’m not sure if this could be avoided, but please don’t start starving yourself. You’ll struggle inwardly much more than you’ll ever let most people know.
- Ashley isn’t going to be your friend forever, but don’t let her out of your life as much as I have. She’s a brilliant friend, and just who you need at really tough times.
- Be more careful with mobile phones – you lose 2 of them, although you manage to convince your parents the Samsung was stolen.